Thursday, 27 November 2008
Friday, 31 October 2008
Thursday, 23 October 2008
I borrowed an engine hoist from one of the club members who was very kind in lending it to me (snapperpaul) and lowered the engine in. After the initial struggle of getting the engine to slide onto the gearbox shaft (which it finally did!!) a number of 'issues' presented themselves.
1) When i came to put the engine mounts on i bolted them to the holes on the block as instructed by GBS and ffrom personal research on the t'internet but the £60 mounts i had bought from GBS were wrong. Firstly they got the angles wrong and secondly the lengths wrong. So the net result was if the engine was seated it would have leaned to the left, but, the main inssue was that as they were the wrong angles if i tightened the mounts to the block coupled with them being to long meant they missed the plates on the chassis to sit on adn were hanging out the sides of the car!!! I have a friend who is a steel fabricator so i took them to him with fresh measurements and had the cut and re-welded!
2) The oil filter. This caused me a lot of headaches and trips to the motor shop down the road. On the silvertop the oil filter is angled down. Unfortunatley the steering column runs right across the face of where the oil filter screws to. I had to find an oil filter 55mm deep!! After searching high and low i found one from a renault 5 but this was just a tad to long at 57mm!!! I called Burton Engineering and bought a remote oil filter adaptor (49mm!!) and the appropriate hosing!! Mounted the new filter adaptor to the chassis and screwed on the new adaptor to the block.
With the new remote oil filter adaptor on i needed to prime the oil pump. This needs to be done on new engines and was recommended as mine had been sitting a long time. Another club member came to aid here in the form of Longboarder (Nigel, who has helped me massively!!!! especially with the wiring!! having never wired before and with his guidence managed to make my own loom!!) and said i needed to wind the crank anti-clockwise to the pump sucks oil in from the filter and primes the pump!! A little tricky when the oil filter has a non return diaphram!! So i grabbed a tin of soup, put a single hole in the bottom, drained the soup (into the saucepan of course!! excellent lunch that day!) then drilled 8 10mm holes around the central hole and made the central hole to about 12mm. Then cut a square hole on the side and screwed the tin can onto the oil filer plate. Filled with oil and turned the crank until it had sucked all the oil in!! Job done. Oil pump primed!!
Finally, out of some thin ally i cut a new sandwich plate to got between the engine and gearbox and the existing zetec plate did not fit and cover all the gaps.